Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Every Working Pianist Will Relate to This . . .the Philippine Solution

So . . . in the Philippines it can be fatal to sing My Way badly. Fatal! Somehow, I think this will resonate with all working pianists.

Here's the story from no less than  The New York Times.

Or course there is a moral question: would this be a bad or good thing? Would exoneration of the murderer depend on how badly the song had been sung? Or perhaps the drunken adulation of Frank would be enough by itself, ipso facto? 

I played for a wedding years ago where the groom made his bride sit in the middle of the dance floor and listen to him sing (very badly) all the verses of My Way. I know that he'd expected her to gaze adoringly at him, but by the end of the song she was avidly watching the floor.

I'm pretty sure, too, that when the performance finally ended,  the bride (and everyone present) would have voted for the groom to be severely punished. At that time, we had not heard of the Philippine Solution.

But now it has a name.

An now, it's happening, apparently with some regularity. All is not lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment